Sunday 20 July 2014

For the reader. This is my own experience, so take it as such. You may have a different take on things. 

Teenagers are great! Our awesome adolescence! Exploring life! Living fully! Well, in my experience they have a wild, free and curious nature (in general) but they are also grumpy and moody, critical and self-centered. Loving, too, but I'm talking about the time when hormones, testosterone, periods and other changes hit their young beings with such a tremendous force that an earthquake is pale in comparison. Not easy! It's good to remember our own teenage years at those times, isn't it? For as parents we have to hold onto our hat. So important to stay focused with an open and loving heart. Behavior and moods varies from child to child, of course, but to understand that being a teenager means massive inner (and outer) changes, is essential in my view. Things will go wrong at times. They just do. Awkward words come out, the wrong actions as well as silly behavior and thoughtless moves. If we as parents base our view from this place rather than thinking that our own child may be an exception (only amazing and never a challenge) then it may be easier. For everyone. We may not judge other teenagers for starters, nor their parents. Our children's friends in particular. For if we stay open when the behavior of other teens go off the rails a bit, then we may have the awareness to be understanding rather than judgmental. We may need to correct mistakes, but with the heart in the right place. To get stuck in comparison is only foolish. Comparing other kids to our own children. No point. I've seen it happen. No good. Instead, what if we became a community that understands our teens? Who work together to set boundaries and examples and act as each others supporters when needed? I've seen that happen, too, which is so great.

Kids will rebel, more or less, but in my experience (so far) the more I trust my teen, the more appropriate behavior I see. It slips, but bounces back. And the more we set clear guidelines and boundaries and give them responsibility, the more our teens will feel safe. They will come for cuddles, talks and quality time. On their terms.

Oh, I might sound like I pretend to know it all here, but believe me, I don't. I just explore the ultimate, often insights found through making mistakes. I find it exhausting but so exciting to parent a teen. I'm lucky, too, because I have the tremendous privilege to have a home where many of our children's friends tend to hang out. I get to know them, guide them, feed them, talk to them. It's fantastic. Such a great bunch of kids. Loud at times. Crazy. Energetic. Full of fun and mixed emotions. Our babies are growing up! But I wouldn't want it any other way. So today I celebrate all parents of teens! We have great kids, ups and downs included, moods and grunts right in the mix.

Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment